G & R Controls helps minimize expenses while maximizing efficiency, equipment life and indoor comfort. We have been proudly assisting building owners, consulting engineers and mechanical contractors since 1977. Our four locations - Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Fargo and Bismarck - serve local and surrounding areas, providing the service and support our customers have come to expect.
We employ nearly 30 Mechanical Engineers, four Certified Energy Managers (CEM), one Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) accredited professional and over 40 factory trained technicians. Our staff members continually attend trainings and workshops to further their education and remain up-to-date on mechanical and energy savings practices.
G & R Controls’ long-term relationship with customers contributes to the success of the customers’ businesses, from project inception to installation and ongoing service after product or program implementation.
The mission of G & R Controls is "Creating Customers For Life". We help customers achieve their business objectives and better serve the needs of their customers by providing the highest quality products available along with the ongoing service required to manage and control the comfort and energy in a wide range of facilities.
G & R Controls is part of HVAC Elements which is the marketing arm that includes O'Connor Company and Balancing Professionals. The three independent businesses cover different aspects of the commercial HVAC business. Being a part of HVAC Elements allows customers easy and direct access to expertise in HVAC equipment, building controls, energy management and testing, analyzing and balancing of HVAC systems. There is no obligation to the sister companies, but the expertise is available if needed.
G & R Controls was originally founded in 1977 by Dan Grider as Grider Sales, Inc. In 1982, Dan Grider merged with W. F. Robinson and the company name changed to Grider-Robinson and Associates. The company was then purchased in 1985 by Mike Mechtenberg and retained the name Grider-Robinson and Associates. Shortly after the hydronics division started up in 1996, the company became known as G & R Controls and in 2008 the company officially changed their name to G & R Controls, Inc. Dave Heibult was added as a partner to G & R Controls in 2008 and became Vice President in 2013.
As a Siemens Solution Partner since 1977, we have the backing of a world leader to provide you with the latest technology and resources needed to manage your building's environment, comfort and energy.
- 1977 — Grider Sales, Inc. is founded by Dan Grider (part of Powers Regulator Company)
- 1982 — Name change to Grider Robinson and Associates when Bud Robinson became a partner
- 1985 — Mike Mechtenberg buys the company and changes legal name to Mike Mechtenberg Inc. – DBA Grider Robinson and Associates
- 1994 — Grider Robinson and Associates merges with O’Connor Company & Balancing Professionals to form O’Connor Group
- 1994 — Grider Robinson and Associates expands to Rapid City location
- 1996 — G & R Hydronics division started
- 1999 — Dropped the names Grider Robinson and Associates and G & R Hydronics and began doing business as G & R Controls referring to the entire company.
- 1999 — Built E 54th Street Building (Currently Convergint Technologies) – first owned real estate
- 1998 — Rapid City office builds current facility
- 1999 — Fargo Branch opens as LLC
- 2005 — Sioux Falls office builds current headquarters located at 4909 N Lewis Ave
- 2008 — Changed the legal name of the company to G & R Controls, Inc.
- 2008 — Dave Heibult became partner
- 2010 — Fargo office builds current facility (Energy Star Certified)
- 2013 — Bismarck Branch Opens
- 2013 — Dave Heibult became Vice President, Mike Mechtenberg remained President
- 2016 — O’Connor Group changes marketing arm name to HVAC Elements